Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

Default Moving-coil cartridges

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

lol This reminds me of an encounter with a well-known
conductor back in the days when I was gigging as a
trombonist more than I am today. The conductor had quite
a jazz background as well as classical (he's
American/British; you can probably guess who this is!)
We were playing a "pops" concert at the Hollywood Bowl,
and I had a little solo on a ballad. He's stopped and
asked for more vibrato from me. I increased my
lip/diaphram vibrato. He asked for more. I gave him
more; a bigger vibrato than is normally used in any
style. He said, "No, I want more, you know..." and made
a hand motion like a jazz style slide vibrato. I did a
slide vibrato. "Perfect!" he said. The truth is that my
slide vibrato was exactly like my lip vibrato was
originally! But now he could SEE it happening. It was a
big joke in the brass section for months!

This sort of thing happens incessantly in the realms of audio production,
except we do it to ourselves and we discover it ourselves. We have a lot
less ego on the line, so there is a far wider instance of the guilty parties
admitting their failings to themselves and even others.

Oh, that is usually the case in music as well. We're very self critical
and we tend to correct ourselves very quickly. For one thing, it's part
of survival in the business. But this conductor isn't, in my opinion, a
"real" conductor. Good conductors rely on ears only. This guy, whose
name any classical music fan would recognize, came up in a different
tradition in Hollywood and is known among players to, well, kind of make
it up on the spot ;-)