Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walker Walker is offline

Default You Tell 'Em, Arnie!

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:07:28 -0700, Walker wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:43:11 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner wrote
(in article ):

A lot of people get deluded this way, so you're not alone. But believe me
if
you were to switch between your old cables and the new ones in a
double-blind
evaluation, you would not be able to tell one cable from the other. No one
ever has been able to it. You see, the properties of wire are well known.
Have been for decades. Between DC and about 100KHz, there is nothing that
you
can do to Interconnects less than 10 ft long or speaker cables less than
25
ft long without external components added to them that would affect the
sound
in any way.

Have any of you actually tried a set of these cables or are you simply going
by what you've read or heard and accepted it as fact because it looks good
on paper?

It's a point of refining what is already highly refined and the difference
is very subtle but obvious when you know your system. It's not going to make
any difference with a Radio Shack system but it blends in with the upgraded
parts of a high end system and doesn't become the weak link in the chain.
There's nothing wrong with decent lamp cord and interconnects slightly
better than those that come with stereos but neither are the OEM connectors,
transformers, tubes, capacitors, resistors and coils etc on high end gear
yet some of us can't wait to upgrade them. Why not the cables that connect
them all?

It's similar to a top level wine from the same vineyard and winery but a
year apart. Any of us, even wine connoisseurs unfamiliar with that
particular wine, will think that both wines are identical and so will the
guy writing for the food magazine but those used to that wine will recognize
the difference immediately.

If a couple of you are interested and have enough experience with audiophile
systems to report back on it here I'll agree to participate in a test at my
house with my system and the recordings of my choice. I'll have the
components outside the stand with easy access to the interconnects and the
speaker wires are all on banana plugs. It's all tube gear and can't be
turned off and on rapidly but this can't be a rapid test and will take time
between changes. It may be weird and I'll only do it a few times but if I
can't convince you with 80% accuracy from 10 changes over a couple of hours
I'll buy you lunch. However, if I do hit 8/10 you'll buy me lunch and suffer
my ridicule. Who knows; it might be over quickly with three wrong choices
but even on blind guessing I'll probably hit 50% and not crap out before six
tries. Worse thing that can happen to you, aside from buying lunch, is that
you'll enjoy a couple of hours with a kick ass system and you might even say
"Screw the test and I'm buying lunch but I just want to listen to music".

I'm in Las Vegas and some of you will be coming here because that's what a
lot of people do. Email me and we'll trade phone numbers and maybe set up
something. If you don't have a car I'll come and get you and take you back
to your hotel.

There are only three options; I can tell the difference, I can't tell the
difference or I just like going out to lunch.

Bob Walker