Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Guenter Scholz Guenter Scholz is offline

Default You Tell 'Em, Arnie!

In article ,
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Guenter Scholz" wrote in
message

..... snip the glib comments...

an inductor is a coil of wire.

An inductor is a coil of wire that has surprizingly little in common with a
cable. In fact, cables minimize their inductance by simply having two
conductors that are close to each other and have current flowing in them in
opposite directions.

.... well, I guess, it all depends on how the speaker cable is physically
arranged; ie, how the individual strands are arranged etc

Heck, you can buy wire would
resistors that are non-inductive and they are not very
long....

????

FYI, a wire wound resistor is a small 1 cm or so cylinder with wire wound
on it and it is used to provide resistance. There won't be more than about
10 cm or so of wire. The inductance this coil of wire causes can be problem
some in certain applications... ie you don't need 10's of feet depending on
the application - in this case - the amp.

Wasn't Kimber cable braided flat so it could fit
into carpets...

Braided speaker cable was not an innovation of Kimber.

... fine, I'm getting old and don't remember the brand...

many parallel strands of wire make a good capacitor.

Simply not true. Most cables are formed of parallel strands of wire, and
few if any of them are very good capacitors.

Arnie, you'd be correct iff the wires were not individually insulated as is
the case of the above speaker wire. nevertheless, even the strands of wire
in your zip cord, not insulated as they are, will provide capacitance because
of an effect known as the skin effect ... the gist of which is that depending
on the frequency electrons do not travell uniformely in the wire

We certainly noticed doing ABX texting.

ABX texting? Are you talking about cell phones????

..... ahh the typo argument... been there done that :-) If you truly haven't
heard of ABX testing, you should inquire about it.

But most critical we found was level matching
across the audible frequency spectrum and that proved
next to impossible to do.

Sounds like a very pathological setup.

you'd be suprised how poorly matched channels can be on older 'audiphile'
tube stuff...

No, its very easy to ear a few dBs over many octaves. But how do you hook up
normal audio components in a normal audio system and obtain such incredibly
large differences that are simply due to reasonable speaker cable, and
nothing else?

.... like I said, you use some of the 'audiphile' cables, a longer run does
help, and then use your ABX box to switch between said and, say, zip cord to
your hearts content. Suprising how difficult it is if your betting some
money (beer) on your opinion :-)

cheers