Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default You Tell 'Em, Arnie!

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009 03:05:43 -0700, Guenter Scholz wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Sonnova wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:43:11 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner wrote
(in article ):

Thanks for the straight forward analyses and debunking the huge mass of
bull**** in high-end. The rag I subscribe to is one ecstatic review after
another, thus rendering any basis of comparison virtually nil. Double blind
testing is the only way to go, IMO, but who's going to fund it? The audio
press? Not if the sales dept has anything to say about it. The mfg's? What
are you smoking? Anyway, it is amusing reading the reviews of speaker
cables: completely opened up the soundstage and revealed levels of detail
I'd never heard before. Oh, really, you don't say? LOL!

*R* *H*

Yeah, I don't understand why these rags still foster the cable "myth". It
should be common knowledge by now that cables and interconnects all sound
the
same. Yet I just read an article that suggested that USB cables (used in
computer audio playback) have a "sound" and all are different! It's bad
enough that these rags perpetuate the myth that cables carrying analog
audio
can have some effect on the sound, but USB cables carrying ones and zeros?
Gimme a break!

.... well, they did not quite all sound the same by a considerable margin.
These 'audiophile' cables more often than not tended to be either highly
inductive or capacitive and consequently did affect the sound you heard.
Consequently these cables sounded 'different' and different was often thought
as better. Of course none of them worked as well as zip-cord. I'll never
forget the first time I saw the frequency response of a pair of Appogee
Duettas (or some such) you could have gone sking on the response curve it
decreased that much to the high frequencies... they sure sounded 'different
all right.

cheers

The only way that "audiophile' cables can sound "different" is for the
manufacturer to add external components to the cables in the form of chokes,
capacitors, and resistors. These either peak the response somewhere in the
audible spectrum or roll it off. There is simply nothing you can do to a
couple of reasonable lengths of wire ALONE between an amp and a pair of
speakers that could have the slightest affect at audio frequencies. Maybe
that's what those big blocks are on the ends of some "high-end" speaker
cables - housing for large caps and inductors. Maybe those cables that are
sold as powered, "active cables" actually have active filters in them. 8^)