Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default You Tell 'Em, Arnie!

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:07:28 -0700, Walker wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 03:43:11 -0700, Rockinghorse Winner wrote
(in article ):

Thanks for the straight forward analyses and debunking the huge mass of
bull**** in high-end. The rag I subscribe to is one ecstatic review after
another, thus rendering any basis of comparison virtually nil. Double
blind
testing is the only way to go, IMO, but who's going to fund it? The audio
press? Not if the sales dept has anything to say about it. The mfg's?
What
are you smoking? Anyway, it is amusing reading the reviews of speaker
cables: completely opened up the soundstage and revealed levels of detail
I'd never heard before. Oh, really, you don't say? LOL!

*R* *H*

Yeah, I don't understand why these rags still foster the cable "myth". It
should be common knowledge by now that cables and interconnects all sound
the
same. Yet I just read an article that suggested that USB cables (used in
computer audio playback) have a "sound" and all are different! It's bad
enough that these rags perpetuate the myth that cables carrying analog
audio
can have some effect on the sound, but USB cables carrying ones and zeros?
Gimme a break!

I met Kimber in SLC in 1979 and thought that he was a nut case.

I know Ray. He does believe that cables have a "major affect on the sound of
one's system" but, on the other hand, he did invent the IsoMike system and
that's certainly no myth.

I was as much as skeptic as anyone until a few months ago when a friend sent
me two pairs of Panther interconnects and one pair of Panther speaker cables
with a $600.00 price tag. He wouldn't accept a dime if I didn't see an
appreciable difference and I had to run them for at least 100 hours before
deciding. He had persuaded me to build a system he designed that is
outstanding and I trust his opinion. I had nothing to lose but I was also
intrigued and had wanted to try them. However, I wasn't convinced and was
still ready to debunk them. The last thing that I wanted to do was spend
$600 on a few cables.

I ran them for over 100 hours and then switched back to my old cables
expecting to hear nothing different. I had heard new things in some
recordings and the overall bass seemed tighter and bigger but I attributed
it to more intense listening as I was consciously judging them. I was
surprised and shocked to hear a remarkable difference with the old cables
and the terms of 'open sound stage' and 'deeper bass' are totally relevant
with the new ones. You don't have to believe me and even if you can convince
me with medical devices that it's in my head it's an improved sound and
worth the money.

I'm not running out to spend another $2K for the rest of the system and the
TV surround system. My system is conservatively worth $7K and the $600 is
less than 10%. IMHO spending $500 for cabling a -$2K system is crazy and the
money can be better spent on upgrading the components.

Bob Walker

A lot of people get deluded this way, so you're not alone. But believe me if
you were to switch between your old cables and the new ones in a double-blind
evaluation, you would not be able to tell one cable from the other. No one
ever has been able to it. You see, the properties of wire are well known.
Have been for decades. Between DC and about 100KHz, there is nothing that you
can do to Interconnects less than 10 ft long or speaker cables less than 25
ft long without external components added to them that would affect the sound
in any way.