Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Where can I find lossless downloads of individual tunes?

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 05:09:32 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 10:04:52 -0700, Robert Peirce wrote
(in article ):

How timely!! The latest issue of Macworld has an article, p. 64, on
high res downloads. Apparently there are some commercial sources.

I haven't checked them out but the author mentions about a dozen sites,
all the way from 16/44.1 to 24/96. Apparently, you can even find
24/192. It will take a while to check these out, but if anybody else
is
heading down this road, check out the September, 2011 issue of
Macworld.

Heck, you can even find DSD downloads!

The download may be DSD but that gets changed as soon as you play it.

http://www.bluecoastrecords.com/blue-coast-collection

Since everybody's computer audio interface passes only PCM-signals, any
possible or impossible advantages of DSD get lost well before the music
hits
the PC's output terminals.

Now that depends upon how one plays it back. Until one actually plays it,
it's just a computer file. When I play it, I transfer the FILE to my Korg
MR-1000 and play it through my stereo from that. I get real DSD playback.

OK

I understand that there are several software players for the Mac that
will
correctly decode DSD as well. There might be for Windows as well, but I
don't
"do" music on my Windows laptop, so I cannot say.

Most have the same problem that I mentioned above. There is such a thing as
the Prism ADA-8XR. external Firewire-attached DVD audio interface that runs
about $12K.