Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Cook Dave Cook is offline

Default Active vs. passive pre-amp

On Oct 17, 2:52=A0pm, "Trevor Wilson" wrote:
**Given the low output impedance of your DAC, your findings are hardly
surprising. The high output impedance of your preamp was likely causing t=

he
problems you cited.

Well, the pre-amp and amp are both BAT gear, so I assume the sound is
what BAT was aiming for. Also the 100k Ohm input impedance of the amp
seems like it should be an easy load for the pre (few amps, mostly
tube amps, have a higher input impedance.) The bass is excellent, but
the pre has an overall dark sound that doesn't work well with the
already laid back Vandies.

.**I suggest you search out an active preamp which exhibits a nice low
output impedance. IME, such preamps can be blameless, sound-wise and equa=

l a
passive attenuator in terms of distortion.

The BAT SS pre that I have on loan has an output impedance of 200 Ohm,
which still seems a little too "smooth". Maybe I'll try some semi-pro
gear like Bryston.

Dave Cook