Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ed Presson[_2_] Ed Presson[_2_] is offline

Default The Quad ESL 57

This post is not so much to dismiss my opinion as it is to solicitate
yours. Specifically, in the context of the complete listening experience
have you found any loudspeaker before or after that clearly betters the
quad's ability to deliver a "the thing sounds alive" reaction from its
listeners?

ESTG/
A quad esl63 owner..........

The Quad 57s were the first stereo pair I owned five decades ago. They were
uncanny with the human voice; indeed, they were the only speakers that
startled me when the FM station announcer spoke unexpectedly-I thought there
was someone in the room. They were also magic with the singing voice.

However, I found the Quad 63s more realistic with the orchestral midrange.

The limited dynamic range and lack of bass (especially in the 57s) were
major deficits because my principle interest was in orchestral music.
Still, each was very special.

Ed Presson