Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!

Default Is Nob Really Dr. Joseph Goebbels?

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:25:04 GMT

Another point to consider is that the history of fuel is for it to get more
efficient and cleaner. Those using the the worst fuel are the poorest.
Instead of punishing the U.S. and those other countries that are Industrial
giants, why not get the poorer countries to a place where they cna use the
same type of fuels and get the same sort of efficiency as we do? Bringing
the poorer countries, using the dirtiest fuels up to out level raises
everybody and reduces the CO2 without punishment to anybody.

We might actually agree on this.

For example, E85 is running about 80 cents per gallon less than regular
unleaded locally. It burns cleaner, has an octane rating of over 100,
and is now getting to be substantially cheaper than gas.

I don't think this is a case of the market saying, 'We don't want E85.'
I think it's more of a case of the market not knowing that it's
available or what its benefits are. As a case in point, I bought a
Flexible Fuel Vehicle without knowing it in 2000. It was the one they
had on the lot that met my needs. A guy that worked in the office next
door to mine asked me if I'd run it on E85 yet. I asked him what he was
talking about. I had not heard of E85, or FFVs, and aside from the
little emblem on the quarter panel there was no difference in either
appearance or performance. So I went online to see what it was all
about.

At that time, gas was ($1.40?) per gallon. Whatever it was, the local
stations tied the price of E85 to 10 cents less than regular. As I
mentioned, the only drawback I could see was that I got about 15% less
mileage (I'm no chemist, but I think it has something to do with E85
not mixing with air as efficiently as gas). Economically it didn't make
sense at that time as I was spending more to drive with E85. Now,
however, that argument is no longer true since the cost of E85 is about
40% less than regular unleaded. As for more the inconvenience of more
frequent fueling stops, larger fuel tanks could be installed.

When I bought my Jeep I looked to see if E85 was available. I also
checked for diesel. Only the Liberty (too small for my needs) was
available in diesel. Jeep does not offer a FFV.

I think if more people knew about it the FFV vehicles would sell, not
so much as an environmental solution, but as one of lowered fuel costs
and reducing dependence on oil (I think that a fuel that is 15-20% less
efficient yet only uses 15% gas is still a net reduction of something
like 70-80% in oil consumption) . The much lower GHG emissions are a
side bonus.

As another bonus, apparently these vehicles do not cost automobile
manufacturers much more, if any more at all, to build. On the vehicles
currently offered I think the sticker price is the same. So producing
them would apparently not place an undue burden on the automotive
industry.

I also think it would make many federal farm subsidies go away, or at
least be greatly reduced.

You mentioned that you knew people who had not been pleased with
E85-powered cars. Overall, I had no complaints other than the ones I
mentioned above. What were their complaints?