Posted to rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Default Phantom Power

"Richard Crowley" writes:

"Randy Yates" wrote ...
Is the phantom power supplied by many PA boards used to power the active
(MOSFET) device commonly found in electret condenser mic elements?

Yes. That is probably the most common use of phantom power today.

It is also used to power the active circuitry (voltage and/or current
amplification and/or impedance buffering, etc. etc.) for other kinds
of mics such as some models that put out line-level for driving very
long lines, and impedance conversion/voltage amplification for non-
condenser mics like ribbons, etc.

It is also used for charging the condenser element in non-electret
microphones. Probably even more uses that I can't remember this
morning.

Thanks for the confirmation and education, Richard! Before you wrote
this, I didn't even know there were "non-electret" condenser mics. And I
guess that C = Q / V means V = 0 if Q = 0 (i.e., you have to power the
bloody things).
--
Randy Yates % "Rollin' and riding and slippin' and
Digital Signal Labs % sliding, it's magic."