Default A Comparison

"ScottW" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Krell 350 Watt monoblocks @ $17,500.00 per pair
350 watts wpc @ 8 Ohms
700 wpc @4 Ohms
1400 wpc @ 2 Ohms
Signal to noise = 118db 95 db @ 2.83 V
THD = .05% 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Input Impedance = 100 K Ohms
Input Sensitivity = 2.6v RMS for max power
Voltage gain = 26.4 db

QSC PLX 3402 Stereo amp $1200.00
700 wpc @ 8 Ohms
1100 wpc @ 4 ohms
1700 wpc @ 2 ohms
Signal to noise 107 db
THD = .03% 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Input Impedance = 6 K ohms
Input sensitivity = 1.9 Volts @ 8 ohms
Voltage gain = 32 db

I figure you get the QSC and either modify it by adding heat sinks or
replacing the fans with very quiet ones,
and still have saved around $15,000.00 and not be able to hear any
difference.

If you have a difference of opinion, please provide the technical reason
why
you disagree
that would account for any differences in sound quality.

6K ohm input impedance isn't ideal and may cause problems with many a
source. One will have to be careful in selecting a preamp to insure
compatibility and probably will need to avoid any passives or
autoformer types. This excessive input load may also lead to... gasp...
interconnect cable type sensitivity if the source is load sensitive.

But most disconcerting is the very strange input sensitivity spec.
1.9V @ 8 ohms? Are they implying that input sensitivity varies with
output load impedance? That will cause FR variance with any speaker
having a non-flat impedance curve (virtually all but active speakers).

I'll bet that's a typo. Either that or it represents the voltage necessary
at the input to drive the amplifier to its rated output when connected to an
8 ohm load. That's a perfectly logical interpretation, although I would
have made it clear if I had written the spec sheet.

In truth, it's the Krell input sensitivity spec that needs fixing. They
should have stated that 2.6v is required to supply 350W into an 8 ohm load
(which is the case.)

Norm Strong