Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design

Default Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

"Don Pearce" wrote...
Richard Crowley"wrote:
* the original "RCA phono" connector is also known as "Cinch",
particularly outside the US.

Cinch is a connector company that makes hundreds of types.

Most certainly. And it is not the only example of a particular kind
of connector coloquially named after the manufacturer. There are
many others. But "RCA/Cinch" appears to be the most widely-
reconizable name for that kind of connector.

I've never
come across the RCA phono referred to as a Cinch.

And neither had I until I started reading (international) news-
groups such as this one.

The shorthand
nomenclature, certainly here in the UK, is always Phono.

As it is here in the US.