Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default In Play-Off Between Old and New Violins, Stradivarius Lags

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 17:06:52 -0800, Jenn wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Audio Empire wrote:

I know that they had different characters on that day, played by that
violinist. Other than that, I cannot say much more. there are so many
variables. I've heard that even changing a violin string set from cat-gut
nylon or some other material will significantly alter the sound of a
violin.
It makes sense, but I don't know it to be true.

Oh, it's absolutely true. Strings on any stringed instrument make a
huge difference.

Then it is entirely possible for these three: Stradivarious, Amati, Gurneri
to sound quite different from one another by virtue of the strings
themselves, and not just because of the usual "suspects" of wood type, glue,
varnish formulea, etc.