Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] user@domain.invalid is offline

Default $100 Sony HD tuner blows away classic tuners

Arny Krueger wrote:

it was obvious to me in the late 1960s that analog record/play technology
had pretty well done all that it was going to do. I figured that sometime in
the early 70s that digital would become available. I was totally amazed when
it took until the early 80s for that to happen.

I had 16 bit digital, mono, legitimate monotonic 16 bits, in 1971.
50kHz sample rate. Cost $40,000. Had a 256 kilobyte disk to store to.
Had to have outboard cutoff filter, which I wired up by hand
using passive components. Worked fine for audio, but 256 kilobytes
is not much audio, even mono.

I was not surprised at the date of the first digital audio, either
pro mastering or CD.

Doug McDonald