Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default The Vinylizer

On Aug 12, 3:56=A0pm, Dick Pierce wrote:
Audio Empire wrote:
I have a lot of trouble "listening around" to a lack of one of the most
basic needs of music. =A0It's called pitch stability. =A0Sneezes and co=

ughs
aren't obviously a part of the music. =A0Screwing up the pitch stabilit=

y is.

Yessssss, and...??????? Modern turntables in good working order don't h=

ave
pitch instability and while eccentric and warped records don't, they're
pretty rare and one simply doesn't play them.

Really? What kind of *!%%* attitude is that?

You're saying that the I should "simply not play" the LP I
have of Toscanini's Beethoven 9th because it is "eccentric,
warped and pretty rare?" The original Columbia recordings I have
of Albert Schweitzer performing the Bach Schubler Chorales should
as well be relegated to the dust bin?

Of the several HUNDRED LP recordings I have Baroque organ and
harpsichord music, I would say about 30% of them exhibit pitch
instability that is audibly detectable, some almost to the point
of annoyance, and the exhibit this no matter what turntable they
are played on. I'm not talking warp wow, since I store can care
for them well. I'm not even talking, in many cases, off-center
punches, because the tone arm exhibits no detectable periodic
horizontal movement. I'm talking audible pitch instability which
seems to be intrinsic to the record itself.

For many of them, no CD equivalent exists, for others, the
pitch instability simply does not exist in ANY detectable fashion
on the CD version.

So, let me get this straight, according to you, the solution
to the pitch instability found in records is, to quote you
now, that "one simply doesn't play them."

That's your solution to LP pitch instability?

I think you make some very valid points Dick. I really think it was a
bit of a slip there on Audio Empire's part. I don't think he meant to
suggest others not play such records only that he chooses not to and
if "one" finds those distortions intolerable *then* one can make the
same choice. This speaks to a point we can't over look in any analysis
of the variius media. *If* there is a particular title one can't live
without and it is only released in a crappy version be LP, CD or SACD
then one has no choice bu to live with problematic sound quality with
that title. The inherent sonic signatures of the various media are
only an issue when we have a choice. And even then more often than not
other factors that are not directly related to the media have greater
impact on such choices. The solution to pitch instability per se is
not really the big issue. The big issue is the solution to what is
going to give any given listener the best aesthetic experience for any
given title that person chooses to own. Even when there are options
the options will rarely offer the perfect solution. So our solutions
come in the form of best set of compramises in mosts cases. The
dismissal of any format is a self imposed limitation on these choices.