Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

Default Sad News

"Sonnova" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:30:30 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

On Jul 21, 4:45 pm, Sonnova wrote:
I have the sad duty to report, that J. Gordon Holt, the "father of the
High-End", passed away yesterday at the age of 79. Gordon, who believed
in
the worth of double-blind evaluations and eschewed the cultist trappings
of
high-end audio such as cables having a sound, and elevators for speaker
cables making the cables sound better, was the originator of the
"underground
audio press" and the founder of Stereophile. He had been suffering from
emphysema for some time, a result of being a life-long chain smoker.

I am proud to to have known Gordon and having been a close friend. I
shall
miss him.

I'm not so sure JGH was always such an advocate of DBTs.
http://stereophile.com/j_gordon_holt/index1.html
"The blind leading the deaf"
I don't know about cables but you can find a plethora of reviews by
JGH in which he reports dramatic differences between the sound of
various electronics such as amps and preamps.
I am surprised how some folks from the objectivist camp have now taken
him in as some kind of hero for their cause. He was after all, the
father of subjective reviewing in audio.

Gordon believed in both. He thought that if DBT showed NO differences,
that
was the end of it. But if they showed some differences, these could be
best
identified and characterized by long-term listening.

Keep in mind he did most of his reviewing back in the sixties, when there
was much greater differences among gear than there is today, and
double-blind testing for audio gear had not yet become the burning issue it
has been in the ninties and thereafter.