Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Sad News

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:10:09 -0700, Ed Presson wrote
(in article ):

"Sonnova" wrote in message
I have the sad duty to report, that J. Gordon Holt, the "father of the
High-End", passed away yesterday at the age of 79. Gordon, who believed in
the worth of double-blind evaluations and eschewed the cultist trappings
of
high-end audio such as cables having a sound, and elevators for speaker
cables making the cables sound better, was the originator of the
"underground
audio press" and the founder of Stereophile. He had been suffering from
emphysema for some time, a result of being a life-long chain smoker.

I am proud to to have known Gordon and having been a close friend. I shall
miss him.

I subscribed to JGH's Stereophile in the very early 70's when the
publication schedule was very erratic. I stayed loyal through these times
because I found his views always
of interest. I finally dropped my subscription when it became evident that
Stereophile was becoming a very different publication, published on schedule
but without Mr. Holt's common sense and questioning of high-end nonsense.
If he strayed off course, he usually self-corrected in a few issues. He'll
be missed by those of us who knew him only in print.

Ed Presson

Thanks, Ed.