Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default RCA speaker cable/patch cable

On Mar 14, 11:26*am, "Dave" wrote:
"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

... Usually nostalgia.

Nolstalgia? *I'm in the camp that just wants my audio system to as
accurately as possible recreate the sound of the live performance. *But to
each their own.

There is an arguement that the CD sampling rate of 44.1KHz does not provide
enough bandwidth for truly perfect sound reproduction. *Sound is an analog
signal. *To convert analog to digital, samples are taken, in this case
44,100 times per second, and a digital representation is made of each
sample. *A CD player contains a digital to analog converter which reverses
the process. *Problem is, you can't reproduce a sound wave, which is a
curve, from discrete digital samples, you can only approximate it. *The more
samples, the better the approximation. *Remember that the CD standard sample
rate was adopted in the 80's, when PC's didn't exist and the fastest
processor ran at 8 or 16MHz.

There is a contingent of the population, and I'll grant you that it's a
small contingent when compared to the general population, that believes that
LP's _CAN_ sound better than CD's. *Granted, LP's come with their own set of
issues as far as perfect sound reprodution, but they are a true analog
medium and can, POTENTIALLY, deliver truer sound than can a CD. *If you've
ever heard a really really good vinyl system playing a really really
well-mastered album, you'll know what I mean.

The popularity of CD's is due to a number of factors, but a real big one is
that for a tiny fraction of the cost of an awesome turntable, you can get a
CD player with 95% of the sound quality. *With the advent of the computer
age, CD's offer transferability that vinyl cannot. *Things like music
distribution evolve with technology, but remember that just because it's
newer doesn't always mean it's better. *Also, better for one person doesn't
always equal better for all. *I'll take a well-mastered LP over some piece
of crap 128kbps-encoded mp3 any day of the week, but a VAST VAST majority of
music purchasers (who are, btw, mainly kids) are perfectly happy with the
highly compressed format and accompanying loss of sound quality.

But then I'm old....

Dave

Totally wrong. The cd format is vastly superior to vinyl in frequency
range and dynamic range. And the vinyl deteriorates every time you
play it. CDs are not lossy so you can't compare them to mp3s. We're
talking about the standard cd uncompressed format against vinyl.
Compression, mp3s, is a sacrifice for portability. What are you going
to do to make the vinyl portable?