Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mike S. Mike S. is offline

Default RCA speaker cable/patch cable

Eeyore wrote:
"Mike S." wrote:

I have an old stereo with two (left and right) audio outputs that I
want to connect to two speakers. Should I use two mono RCA speaker
cables or one stereo RCA speaker cable, or is it the same either way?
I just didn't know if two mono cables are the same as one stereo cable.

RCA jacks have NEVER been used for speaker connections on decent stereos
IME (as opposed to cheap POS computer speakers for example).

Are you SURE those connectors are actually SPEAKER outputs ? Are they
marked as such ? More likely that they are preamp level outputs.

Not even sure what you mean by a "stereo RCA speaker cable". Never met
anything marketed as such in 40 years of taking an serious interest in
audio. To be honest, if you don't know this stuff you probably shouldn't be
touching any wires at all.

Graham

The stereo system I'm inquiring about is from the 70's, was top
quality and still produces great sound. It's actually better than some
of the ones currently being made today. Don't believe me? Play Bobby
Helms's Jingle Bell Rock album on a new stereo system, then play it on
mine. What a difference! I'll only listen to that album on my system.

The stereo (amplifier) and speakers does use use RCA/phono
connections. I didn't realize until today that stereo RCA speaker
cable even existed (I never saw it before). Just to be clear, the mono
RCA cable has two plugs (one on each end), and the stereo RCA speaker
cable has four plugs (two on each end). I've always used two mono
cables. I was just wondering if one stereo cable would be better or
the same as two mono cables.