Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Powell

Default Question about passive preamps

"Arny Krueger" wrote

What is the proper methodology for measuring
Vrms voltage from fixed RCA outputs on players?

EIA load, Test CD, reasonbly high impedance
voltmeter with flat frequency response.

So as I understand it, Robert, based on past
posts of technical capability shouldn't have any
problems generating this data? I’m in general
agreement with him, pots on input devices are
marginal at driving power amps. Providing
data seems like the least he could do to
support his assumption and mine.

Is there anything which would preclude Robert
from measuring it with a handheld volt meter
and test disk?

The FR of the handheld voltmeter is a potential
source of errors. Some are only designed to
work well with line voltage and are already a
few dB down at the standard frequencies of
400 Hz or 1 KHz.

Thank you.