Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

Default Question about passive preamps

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:58:01 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

I disassembled a very fancy Pioneer Elite preamp, and found 5532
outputs.

Good stuff!

A properly used 5532 is able to swing ± 13 V on a 2 K load with a typical
± 15 V supply voltage...

Or, 7.75 vrms with a 500 ohm load with vanishing distortion per Doug Self.

Experienced audio engineers know that a 5532 can do nothing if it can't
drive low impedance loads. If you took the 5532s out of pro audio about 25%
of everything would stop working.

The power supply was really tiny, using the
78XX regulators in TO-92 package.

Note Morein is eyeballing parts with untrained eyes - if a part is too small
for his uneducated, unpracticed eye, it can't handle audio well.

At 8 mA of supply current per OP amp and 100 mA of available output
current
per 78XX or 79XXin TO-92 form why should you need anything larger?

Agreed.

IME, 2K is not adequate for more than short runs.

Note, Morein has ignorantly confused load impedance and source impedance.

I doubt that he can give a cogent explanation of the difference.

Remember, Morien is a guy who places himself over degreed engineers, at
least in his own mind and RAO posts.