Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Ambiophonics

In article ,
STC wrote:

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 7:08:09 AM UTC+8, Audio_Empire wrote:

Yes, I noticed that after I saw my response in print. But then, it was

too late to call the article back. 8^)

I too realized that I posted the wrong draft. ) . With respect, many just
presumed that Ambiophonics is just another DSP scheme.

Unlike all the other schemes that you have mentioned, Ambiophonics is
available for free of charge to the public. It is not adding or taking away
anything from the recordings and it got nothing to do with the recording. The
best demo I could think of is The Sheffield/ XLO test CD's "Walkaround". It
reveals the position of Doug Sax and the ambiance better and accurate that a
normal Stereo will never be able to match.

My curiosity is not about whether Ambiophonics is better or not but the
reluctance of audiophile to try it out. As I have observed, those in non
audiophile category embrace Ambiophonics as closer to realism but hardcore
audiophiles do not adopt them despite clearly awed with it. They continue to
tweak their system and rush back for another demo and then go back to more
tweaking and adjustments until they gave up.

This prompted me to ask if we are after high fidelity or something else. (Pls
see the first post). The more I look into this I notice that it is not music
but some sort of obsession with their system and format.Like a vinylphile
will never accept anything digital despite some digital are better recorded
than vinyl.

But I realize that the same thing with room treatment. Many prefer to change
cables or amplifiers to tame the bass rather than a simple room treatment or
just replacing the speaker to a smaller bass shy one.

To those interested, please see here. http://www.ambiophonics.org/Demos.html

What we're talking about here is that there are a number of different
kinds of Audiophiles. One group is music oriented (small group) One is
about new equipment (Toys - probably the largest group) and the third
group is interested in both (and there are probably subsets of these
three main groups (like those interested in multi-channel sound and
those focused on getting 2-channel stereo "right" (according to
whichever of the main groups to whom they belong).

Me, I'm in a subset of the largest group. My interest in the music is,
of course the driving factor, but I my subset believes that the reason
why good two-channel stereo is so hard to come by is because commercial
recordings are made by people who have a totally different set of goals
than do audiophile listeners. Therefore I endeavor to make my own
recordings. I think that I can make much better recordings of the types
of music I like than can a commercial record company. Whether I actually
can or not, is up to interpretation. Some might think so, some might
not. On the equipment front, I obviously like to play with new toys. I
have to admit that this is possibly even one of the main reasons that I
enjoy recording. Listening is passive, recording is active and it lets
me play with cool toys while doing so.

Now that I know what Ambiophonics is, I'll certainly investigate it
further (if for mo other reason than to satisfy my curiosity about how
it differs from other forms of ambience retrieval.