Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Pro-ject 1.2 turntable has ground to a halt

On 1/8/2011 12:12 PM, Audio Empire wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 07:20:41 -0800, Bill Noble wrote
(in ):

On 1/5/2011 3:54 PM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
wrote in message
I have an approximately 10 year old Pro-Ject 1.2 turntable. Over the
last year, the big heavy platter has begun scraping as it spins, and
has finally ground to a halt. If I elevate the platter, by putting a
shim (two old CDs) between it and the sub-platter, that elevates it
enough that it spins again, but with lots of wobble. Obviously not an
ideal fix.

I don't know what's happening, but I'm guessing the sub-platter (which
is what actually spins, driven by the motor/belts) has descended/sunk
a bit.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with this turntable? Is there
any way to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

**Common problem with some of the Pro-Ject TTs. The platter sags! Remove the
mat and look at the platter from the side. You will probably note that the
outer rim has saged, relative to the spindle. Cheap, crappy die casting I
guess. The only effective solution is to replace the platter. Your local
distributor may still have stocks. Otherwise, you're screwed. It is not
acceptable to use the platter in that condition.

if it is a diecast platter, just replace with aluminum or other metal of
your choice - any machine shop could make it for you

It's probably not worth it. After all, one can buy a pretty good Rega, Music
Hall or even a new Pro*Ject 'table for less than $300.

well, i would be surprised if machining a platter cost more than $50 to
$80, I'd probably just make a new platter and be done with it, but it
isn't my TT, after all