Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Did we really improve redbook format in the last 15 years or so?

"ST" wrote in message

But may main concern is are we being ripped of year in
year out by claims of a newer DAC or player being better
than the other previous models?

Only if you actually act on them.

I believe the the best
possible CD playback technology been achieved at least 10
years back by some companies using the best available
technologies at that time.

Agreed. We did fairly scientific investigations of this issue back in the
late 80s or early 90s for Stereo Review. We found that one of the first
generation players did sound a little different than the then-newer models,
but only a tiny amount.

After that, good players strongly tend to be indistingishable. They may vary
in terms of how they handle scratches and blemishes.

BTW, maybe measurements may show the latest got
components better than legacy units but the question is
can we hear the improvement?

Once you get frequency response down to within 0.1 dB variations, which
happened at least 20 years ago, there's not a lot of difference to hear.