Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Did we really improve redbook format in the last 15 years or

Dick Pierce wrote:
Steven Sullivan wrote:
Is it possible CD format technology already matured long time ago and
there's nothing new can really improve the sound?

How long is 'long ago'? Oversampling can prevent some possible sonic
artifacts. Oversampling DACs didn't become common in consumer units
until the early 90s.

Not so. The Philips CD players did oversampling in the 80's,
IN 1987, it was common enough to inspire a NYT article where
at least 3 explicit examples of products from Magnovox, Denon
and Accuphase were featured as having oversampling. Display
adds for a Mitsubishi CD player appeared in the Chicago Tribune
in November of 1986.

A brief search reveals that oversampling was QUITE common before
the end of the 1980's

OK, late 80s rather than early 90s.

And, as I pointed out elsewhere, conversion techniques like
ovsersampling are not related to the redbook format. That has
not changed since the early 1980's

Since the Redbook format obviously has not changed, I assumed he must have
been referring to the playback technology.

--
-S
We have it in our power to begin the world over again - Thomas Paine