Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

Default Did we really improve redbook format in the last 15 years or

On 8 Sep 2009 03:12:17 GMT, Sonnova
wrote:

I'm still running a Theta Gen Va Balanced, which has to be pushing 13 yrs
old. Tomorrow I will receive, for evaluation, a Benchmark DAC1 HDR. It will
be interesting to see if there is any appreciable audible improvement. I
have my doubts..

I'm betting that the Theta will trounce it. I received a Benchmark DAC 1 PRE
to review and I found that both my upgraded DAC2.6 and the Redbook playback
via my Sony XA777ES sounded better!

"..trounce it" is perhaps pushing it somewhat. "..sound different"
perhaps? Why do I say that? Well I don't know if you've seen the
Audio Clinic review of the Benchmark DAC1 HDR
(http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/index...Id=40&blogId=1)

....in which Peter Aczel says the following:

"What the Benchmark DAC1 HDR adds to or subtracts from its input
signal is borderline unmeasurable, so the sonic character of its
output is obviously the sonic character of its input. It’s as simple
as that. It has no sound of its own. Furthermore, its measurements
could be 20 or 30 dB worse and it would still sound the same. I have
convinced myself of that over and over again in double-blind listening
comparisons of all sorts of electronic components at matched levels.
The 100% purity of the DAC1 HDR is of benefit mainly in professional
systems, where the integrity of the equipment chain needs to be
verified and guaranteed. To audiophiles it’s a somewhat abstract
luxury, but not an excessively costly one,

Conclusion

All in all, the Benchmark DAC1 HDR is damn close to a perfect piece of
equipment. Neither its digital performance nor its analog performance
could be meaningfully improved. That’s really all that needs to be
said. If I could change anything at all about it, it would be to add a
couple more analog inputs. I realize that there is no room for that,
so I use a small input switch box that sits on top of it. Most users
won’t need it. There exist DACs and preamps at ten times the price of
the Benchmark, but they aren’t any better. Let the high-end police
come and take me away in handcuffs."

Should we believe him??

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com