Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ST ST is offline

Default Did we really improve redbook format in the last 15 years or so?

3 days ago I decided to hook up my old Theta DS Pro Gen III DAC to my
Marantz SA11s2 just for the fun of it. To my surprise it sounded
better (more to my liking) then SA11s2. Theta used Motorola 56001s,
30.0000mhz Rubidium clock, PCM63K and AD841 Op-Amp. So my question is
how could an old DAC out perform a new reasonably well designed
Marantz?

Is it possible CD format technology already matured long time ago and
there's nothing new can really improve the sound?

ST