Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] billy@MIX.COM is offline

Default Metering Software Question

Scott Dorsey writes:

Have you used the Tascamm HS P-82? I tried it at the AES show and it felt
a little flimsy but the ergonomics were decent. And the price is certainly
right.

I'm familiar with it, but I'm (CBS/Viacom) using the HS-8, which is a rack
mount version and just a recorder (no mic preamps, etc). They share much of
the same firmware, other than the HS-8's ability to start a recording with the
first sample falling on a video frame boundary not being available in the P-82.

Ya know, for years I begged Avid not to truncate aduio while lining up sync.
You could be as much as 99 subframes off depending on random chance... So, I
had Tom add this to the HS-8 firmware. We all have one another's addresses..
and right after announcing that, Avid finally pops up with their own fix. (!)

So, if you're even worried about sync to picture, Media Composer starting with
V7.0.4 solves the problem. Here in Hollywood, though, editors are quite slow
to update - I've got people still on V6, and V5, so it wasn't a total loss.

I don't have the budget for the Nagra VI or the patience for the
Sound Devices 788T and I need six channels minimum.

I am seriously considering just buying one to try it out and considering it
a disposable item.

Well, it doesn't come in a housing milled from 6061 half-hard aluminium, but
for the money it's a pretty decent recorder.

You'll probably want a decent stylus for it (it's touchscreen controlled).

https://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Stylus...dp/B004VM0SE6/

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte