Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] billy@MIX.COM is offline

Default Metering Software Question

Scott Dorsey writes, quoting
Mike Rivers :

Watch it. You're getting me dangerously close to ranting about the new
digital consoles designed by people who obviously never actually mixed a
show that had more than one act.

Those people are assuming you're going to freeze the configuration for each
act as a "scene" rather than go leftie-rightie like analogue console users
do.

Hah. Showco once made a shirt for one of the many Farm Aid shows I did.

"85 Acts.. Right On Time!"

It's really not difficult, at all. You just do a little planning ahead.

These days things have gotten quite a bit different. And I don't mean stuff
like the 151 inputs used by The Voice.

The last big awards show I did had seven live performances in it. So, how
did they handle that? With 7 monitor boards, and 7 PA consoles. Doing this
required, of course, ****loads of cable, some of which hadn't been used in
years, had bad pairs, etc. Then, where the hell do you put 7 monitor desks
so each mixer can see his artists? Well, that was yet another train wreck.
Two or three of the bands (or maybe more) blew off doing it live and just
played back their stuff.

That's when I decided it was time for a career change for me... Heh.

Ya know, what's really depressing about this is the mixer/"sound designer"
was a guy (Paul Sandweiss) I hired (out of a Pacific Stereo store) to do
maintenance at Wally Heider's, and one of the people I spent a lot of time
teaching the business.....

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte