Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Metering Software Question

On 2/11/2017 6:32 PM, wrote:

Look, it is just plain wrong, period.
Moronity is rampant in this business.

I'll agree with the latter statement, but this is a user interface
thing, and everybody has his own idea of what's right, and what's wrong.
I think that Mac computers and iPhones are nonsensical, but then I'm
used to Windows and Androids. I get products that do what I want,
mostly, and there are always some compromises. Sometimes it's in
features or functions, sometimes it's in the user interface. Once I
decide on the features I can't live without, I figure I can always learn
how to use it.

It's too easy to fixate on what's wrong with the user interface, and
that's what I see here. You CAN learn to ignore what's bugging you.

Years (decades) ago I began marking sync with SMPTE time code on
film shoots of concerts. . . . .
There were some other people using plain old clocks, but the time
code is frame accruate, and saves a lot of time syncing dailies.
Eventually various people built motion picture slate sized devices
that included a timecode display. But -- since they had no actual
experience with syncing picture to sound this way, the timecode data
were too small (visually) to make it easy to do. . . .

But, what are "we" actually doing? Owing to union featherbedding
by the IATSE camera local, we're still using clapsticks, and not
coincidentally on a slate that also has a timecode display. Why?
Because competent electronic maintenance and video engineers were
replaced with uneducated people whose only qualification was that
they were a member of the camera local union.

Watch it. You're getting me dangerously close to ranting about the new
digital consoles designed by people who obviously never actually mixed a
show that had more than one act.

--

For a good time, call
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com