Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] billy@MIX.COM is offline

Default Metering Software Question

Mike Rivers writes:

It's disappointing that you aren't getting better cooperation from Sound
Devices, particularly since you can wave the Sony flag at them.

The problem there is Sony had dumped the head of their sound department.
You know... he was getting paid a lot of money, and the bozos (feel free
to quote me on this, I don't give a **** who sees it) running Sony could
not find their ass even with both hands, so now said department is running
headless. I did send everything to one of the grunts there, but I'm not
expecting him to do anything about it.

The show at Fox, by the way, started with two Fostex DV-824 DVD-RAM
recorders, but they have their own set of problems - most notably now that
Panasonic is no longer making the media, occasionally a disc that can't
write fast enough will be encountered, and there's limited buffering in
the recorder. So, with a 17+ minute take, chances of getting screwed are
quite high. The DVD-RAM does have an unusually thorough defect management
scheme (bad block replacement), and the drives do reads after writes, but
the seek times for these are no good when doing real-time recording and
at close to the max bandwidth - which varies by individual disc, and can
not be known in advance wihtout physically formatting - which just makes
the whole thing worse, coz there will be more failures on the second write.

I've been tempted by their recorders for quite some time, but the do
seem to have their own ideas of how everyone should use them.

Yes. Their 700 series (protable) are quite nice, though. In fact, it's
hard to believe the same company did both.

Billy Y..
--
sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer