Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Metering Software Question

On 2/11/2017 10:41 AM, wrote:

You do realize that the floating descenders have absolutely no bearing
any actual level, don't you?

Yes, I realize that.

So how exactly do these floating display segments distinguish between
a fluke (one over) and banging the meter (more than one over)?

I don't know, but I'd enjoy having your recorder to play with if you
hate it so much. Maybe after using it for a while I'll find a good reason.

The way I work is I set the peak hold time to 2 seconds. Then I listen
to what I'm recording. If I hear something crap out, I'll then look at
the recorder to see which track had the problem. If it craps out more
than once, I'll hear it. And -- when I'm looking at this the one thing
I don't need if useless visual clutter right in the middle of what I
need to see. You may compare it to animated ads on a web page.. Heh.

Then I'd suggest putting a strip of gaffer tape over the screen. Or
maybe there's an option for turning it off. Once you've set levels and
you're monitoring the recording, you really have no need for meters.

Does Sound Devices have anything to say about this? Is there an
explanation in the manual that might make it more sensible to you? Does
anyone else complain about it?

You're really ****ing in the wind here, you know. Zip up and move on.

--

For a good time, call