Laurence Payne

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:06:39 GMT, "Doc"
wrote:

Can you listen to a 1940's recording and pick out and play all parts with
correct harmony and in correct voicing in real time in one shot? I think
you'd be the only person on the planet who can, and no doubt have a few
extra hands as well. Remember, I'm doing everything including drums and
piano.

Of course not. And I don't recall suggesting you did!

But I can listen to it and transcribe the score. Then re-build the
arrangement, playing each instrument separately. I usually find it
is MUCH easier to play the phrasing I want than to step-enter then
edit away the mechanical feel.

Sometimes I play along with the original. One instrument at a time,
of course, and in short sections with lots of trial-and-error. But
less error as skills develop.

If, ultimately, you decide a quantised drum track, say, would improve
the performance, fine. Start over from that basis. Now you have the
other parts written down (or in your head) you can easily reproduce
them.