Lynn

Are you planning on presenting the piece with the two versions mixed
together? , or are you just putting the wav file at the top for your own
benefit whilst constructing it?

When I used to do this, I just took the average tempo and created the parts
as I heard them. I would have the wav file imported for ease in cueing, and
changes that are needed in the score to add feeling, can be typed directly
onto the score when formatting the printed pages. The rest is left to the
conductor of the band to follow in his own way. If any of the band members
needed to hear the original track I'd give them a copy of it together with a
seperate recording of the MIDI version. They can then follow the score with
either, depending on what is easiest for them.

I didn't find any real need for matching the tempos exactly. It would be
more bother than it's worth.
--
Lynn
Wobbly Music

"Doc" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm doing a transcription of an old big band recording using Cakewalk Pro
Audio 8. My plan is to have the wave file at the top and then piece
together
the band below it, following along with the recording. I want to make the
wave file fit fairly precisely into the measures so I don't have to futz
with the midi tracks later to make them line up. Tape decks being what
they
are and the original performance being done by humans, after a while it
drifts off from the metronome beat.

A way I've come up with is to find a tempo that fits for as long as
possible, paste in the wave file and about a bar before it starts to drift
noticeably, split the file, cut the portion of the file from that point
on,
insert a tempo change that fits - probably only a click or so one way or
the
other is all that's needed - repaste, and continue this process to the end
of the recording.

Is there a more elegant way of doing it than this? My source for the
recording is an analog tape deck.

Thanks for all input.