Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Default Request for comments

Boris Lau wrote:
Hi folks,

here are some recordings I've made in my square little home recording
studio. I'd be very about some comments on the sound:

http://www.borislau.de/audio/roon

Obviously, a nicer and bigger room would have been better. But this is
what I've got. The guitar pickup is mixed pretty loud. I would have
preferred more of the mic signal (AT4050) for a more acoustic sound, but
the band liked this better. The rest is recorded with KM184s.

Especially I'm interested on advice for EQing the highs (more/less?),
and the limiting (is it too much?). Overall, couple of weeks later, I
find the sound thin and lacking some warmth, comparing to the live
experience.

Thanks in advance,
Boris

Boris ~ I once lived with a woman who was a very good cook. Whenever she
served a meal she pointed out all the things about it that disappointed
her. Most of those things were in her own mind, but the proclamations
diminished my own enjoyment.

When you offer materials for comment, try to be more mute about them.

It is Sunday evening in Los Angeles, and the internet running quite slowly.
I was able to audition part of Stormy Blues and Gone Fishing. First
impression: nice sound! Stormy Blues seemed to have something of a "hole"
between the guitar and the flute. More guitar might not have helped. With
Gone Fishing, the flute in a lower register filled the hole. Perhaps for
recordings (as opposed to live performance) those tunes with the flute in
the upper octaves would benefit from an overdub of either the flute or the
guitar filling that register.

I did not notice any problems with the room, the EQ or the dynamics. The
"warmth" you feel lacking likely is the same thing I call a "hole". There
is some room for more of the bass fundamentals. Overall, however, it is
not at all "thin".

--
~
~ Roy