Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default No One Ever Did Any Research on Vinyl Records vs Audio CD

On 10/02/2017 4:54 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/9/2017 10:32 PM, Trevor wrote:
So not actually direct to CD, but a CDR burned from a recorded digital
file. Of course the difference is irrelevant to anything other than
thekma who thinks "direct to CD" actually means anything in a digital
age! :-)

Actually, I think that he may have been describing a CD made with a
stand-alone CD writer, not a recording to a computer disk drive and then
burned to a CD - though really there should be no difference. Before
people started toting laptop computers to live shows, we used to use a
CD recorder with analog inputs that were fed from the PA console. I
don't think it's unfair to call that "direct to CD." It's about as
direct as "direct to disk" for lacquer.

Here's one, still available from TASCAM:

http://tascam.com/product/cd-rw901mkii/

A stand-alone CD recorder surely has some degree of internal buffering
involved, so is actually not different to any other unprocessed digital
recording however many generations old, stored, moved, delayed,
uploaded, downloaded, whatever, where the data remains 100% identical.

Maybe he meant the process of playing live a whole CD-worth of music in
one take ? But that is a musical performance issue, rather than an
achievable sound-quality issue.

geoff