Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tater[_2_] Tater[_2_] is offline

Default Receiver Advice Wanted, My Nachamichi appears to be dying.

On 5 Nov 2014 20:05:55 GMT, Low Hertz wrote:

I figure this is the best place to get advice.

My Nachamichi 700 once took a lightening hit. I spent a fortune getting
it fixed, but didn't use it for more than 3 months and the warranty expired.
It just sort of dies. I need to replace it. I've put a fortune into having it fixed and don't want to do it again.

I'm not an audiophile. I'm a professional musician with a love for real acoustic music. But I'm very picky about my stereo equipment.

I only want to drive 2 speakers, 2 EPI with Heil Air Motion Transformers.
I've never heard regular speakers that reproduce highs at all.
They have great realistic basses. As a string bass players I love clean
bass, and hate the thumpers so common today. These have an incredibly heavy speaker cab, with a 12" woofer facing down and a passive 12" woofer. It has a real sexy bass.

The only "sound stage" that really impressed me were Koss electrostatic headphones, if that means anything to you.

Mostly, I want to plug my TV audio speakers into it, regular RCA that obviously have power as they are volume sensitive, and listen to National Public Radio. I have my computer connected to my TV with a USB to HDMI connection, so all my computer streaming goes through my TV and stereo.
I love sound scores. I also use Pandora and MP3s, but know they are limited.

I had a Philips 212 Turntable that I believe was stolen by my movers.

I'm looking for very clean, realistic sound. Like my Nachamichi used to produce before it was hit with lightening. I also had a Proton during their brief period they were producing audiophile quality integrated amps, but the switch plate keeps breaking, and one channel is not working.

I don't know s*** about new equipment. I know I used to look for stuff with a lot of copper and weight. I know there are new technologies. I want something built like a tank. I would surly consider a tube unit if it were reliable. As a musician, I loved my old Fender Bassman which I stupidly sold when I moved to California

I figure this is the best place to get so knowledgeable highly opinionated advice, both of a really clean unit that will meet my needs. I don't need to drive the whole collection of speakers, 2 great ones does it for me. Also, where can it be purchased for the best price and good service.

My general advice for most audiophiles is to go out and hear live, unamplified music in a good hall. Real music is nothing like recorded music. Even the best systems do not reproduce life music. That said,
I'm looking for the best at what exists, but isn't absurdly expensive.
I'd like to put a limit of around $500, hopefully less but if necessary I pony up some more to get something amazing.

I'm not going to be able to afford classic Mac power amps.

And, for one's brain and musicality, learn to play a musical instrument. I have a large section on my web site on the relationship of learning music to intelligence. I'm somewhat of an expert on the Psychology of music.
www.comarow.com and look for the Brain and Music page.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

The Outlaw Audio RR2150 might be a good fit for you.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

I have no experience with their products but they seen to be well
regarded in the reviews I have read.

Jerry