Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Low Hertz Low Hertz is offline

Default Receiver Advice Wanted, My Nachamichi appears to be dying.

I figure this is the best place to get advice.

My Nachamichi 700 once took a lightening hit. I spent a fortune getting
it fixed, but didn't use it for more than 3 months and the warranty expired=
..
It just sort of dies. I need to replace it. I've put a fortune into havin=
g it fixed and don't want to do it again.

I'm not an audiophile. I'm a professional musician with a love for real ac=
oustic music. But I'm very picky about my stereo equipment.

I only want to drive 2 speakers, 2 EPI with Heil Air Motion Transformers.
I've never heard regular speakers that reproduce highs at all.
They have great realistic basses. As a string bass players I love clean
bass, and hate the thumpers so common today. These have an incredibly heav=
y speaker cab, with a 12" woofer facing down and a passive 12" woofer. It =
has a real sexy bass.

The only "sound stage" that really impressed me were Koss electrostatic hea=
dphones, if that means anything to you.

Mostly, I want to plug my TV audio speakers into it, regular RCA that obvio=
usly have power as they are volume sensitive, and listen to National Public=
Radio. I have my computer connected to my TV with a USB to HDMI connecti=
on, so all my computer streaming goes through my TV and stereo.
I love sound scores. I also use Pandora and MP3s, but know they are limite=
d.

I had a Philips 212 Turntable that I believe was stolen by my movers.

I'm looking for very clean, realistic sound. Like my Nachamichi used to pr=
oduce before it was hit with lightening. I also had a Proton during their =
brief period they were producing audiophile quality integrated amps, but th=
e switch plate keeps breaking, and one channel is not working.

I don't know s*** about new equipment. I know I used to look for stuff wit=
h a lot of copper and weight. I know there are new technologies. I want s=
omething built like a tank. I would surly consider a tube unit if it were =
reliable. As a musician, I loved my old Fender Bassman which I stupidly so=
ld when I moved to California

I figure this is the best place to get so knowledgeable highly opinionated =
advice, both of a really clean unit that will meet my needs. I don't need =
to drive the whole collection of speakers, 2 great ones does it for me. Al=
so, where can it be purchased for the best price and good service.

My general advice for most audiophiles is to go out and hear live, unamplif=
ied music in a good hall. Real music is nothing like recorded music. Even=
the best systems do not reproduce life music. That said,
I'm looking for the best at what exists, but isn't absurdly expensive.
I'd like to put a limit of around $500, hopefully less but if necessary I p=
ony up some more to get something amazing.

I'm not going to be able to afford classic Mac power amps.

And, for one's brain and musicality, learn to play a musical instrument. I=
have a large section on my web site on the relationship of learning music =
to intelligence. I'm somewhat of an expert on the Psychology of music.
www.comarow.com and look for the Brain and Music page.=20

Thanks in advance,
Bob