Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default Optical-to-RCA Converter

On Friday, December 14, 2012 9:07:58 AM UTC-8, J.B. Wood wrote:
On 12/13/2012 10:43 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:
=20

=20
Before I can answer that, I need some clarification. Is this optical ou=

tput
=20
analog or digital? If it's digital, any number of DACs on the market, i=

=20
all price ranges are likely to have an optical digital input and RCA an=

alog
=20
left and right stereo out. OTOH, if that TV optical output is analog, I=

don't
=20
know what to tell you. There were some products in the late 80's that

=20
tried to replace regular audio interconnects with fiber optical, but it

=20
didn't take. I haven't seen any equipment with that capability for deca=

des
=20
and I've certainly seen no converter boxes that would turn the optical

=20
stereo back into electrical stereo.

=20

=20
Thanks for the quick reply, Empire. Clarification(?) from the Panasonic=

=20
=20
TC32X5 manual:
=20
=20
=20
=E2=97=8F When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL A=

UDIO=20
=20
OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC
=20
channel is selected, the output will be PCM.
=20
=E2=97=8F When playing a movie on SD Card Movie player, when the sound ha=

s been=20
=20
recorded in Dolby Digital, the output from the
=20
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal will be Dolby Digital. When the sound is=20
=20
recorded in other formats, the output will be PCM.
=20
=20
=20
Sincerely,

OK. You need to buy a Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC). Here's a=20
link to one on E-Bay:

http://tinyurl.com/bs2g2jl

It is more than adequate for your purposes, has an Optical TosLink
input (which is what your Panasonic most likely is) and electronic
stereo audio out and, it's less that $22.=20

Do you also need a TosLink cable to go betwen the TV and your new DAC?
Try these folks:

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...ct_list&c=3D11

Their Toslink Cables are excellent and cheap (I use 'em myself). Just buy t=
he length you need.

Good luck on your project.