Posted to rec.audio.high-end
J.B. Wood J.B. Wood is offline

Default Optical-to-RCA Converter

On 12/13/2012 10:43 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:

Before I can answer that, I need some clarification. Is this optical output
analog or digital? If it's digital, any number of DACs on the market, in
all price ranges are likely to have an optical digital input and RCA analog
left and right stereo out. OTOH, if that TV optical output is analog, I don't
know what to tell you. There were some products in the late 80's that
tried to replace regular audio interconnects with fiber optical, but it
didn't take. I haven't seen any equipment with that capability for decades
and I've certainly seen no converter boxes that would turn the optical
stereo back into electrical stereo.

Thanks for the quick reply, Empire. Clarification(?) from the Panasonic
TC32X5 manual:

When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO
OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC
channel is selected, the output will be PCM.
When playing a movie on SD Card Movie player, when the sound has been
recorded in Dolby Digital, the output from the
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal will be Dolby Digital. When the sound is
recorded in other formats, the output will be PCM.

Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: