Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Bit rate of youtube videos

In article ,
Doug McDonald wrote:

MP3 can, of course be actual high fidelity, much better than 1964
grade analog tape, at 320 kbps, despite what some people say ...
but this isn't.

This is obviously your opinion, Doug, and you are certainly entitled to
believe that. Perhaps for certain types of music 320 kbps IS transparent
and acceptable to you, but I and others can still hear the increased
distortion and in some extreme cases, even the compression artifacts on
classical music (yes, that's MY opinion). I'm not saying here that MP3
is bad or useless technology, that wouldn't be true at all. In fact, as
a replacement for FM it's great. Web radio can sound very listenable if
the bit rate is 128 kbps or higher. I have taken the 128 kbps Web feed
of a local FM classical station (transmitter is about 6 miles away) and
compared it with the same station on my Yamaha T85 FM tuner. Without the
heavy compression and hard limiting that plagues modern broadcasting,
the Web feed sounds MUCH cleaner with better dynamic range and a velvet
black background. Add to that the fact that Web Radio affords us.
literally, "the world at your fingertips"* and in stereo, I'd say it's
a very positive piece of technology. But, keeping in mind it's
limitations, it becomes a matter of "horses for courses" as they say.

A_E

* "The World at Your Fingertips" was, if memory serves, the
1940's/1950's advertising slogan for Zenith Radio's "Trans-Oceanic"
portable all-wave radio. If someone knows different, chime-in and let me
know. Thanks.