Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default The Vinylizer

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:55:05 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:09:25 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in
message

Then you'd be wrong. Most vinyl listeners don't listen
to records that are warped, eccentric, of full of FM
distortion. I know that I don't.

You have no choice.

Whether you perceive this ongoing racket or not is up to
you, but it is very easy to measure this noise and
distortion using legacy measurement equipment that finds
modern media to be free of distortion.

Then if it's not perceived, It's not important is it?

This would appear to be an adjunct of the McDonalds argument - if you can't
perceive the benefits of a better-made product, then it must not be better
made?

Not at all, but if you can't hear, say, the 15, 750 Hz raster on a TV, then
you wouldn't particularly care that brand "A" had a quieter horizontal
oscillator than brand "B" would you? IOW, a difference that makes no
difference is no difference at all. Or, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Take your pick from the above aphorisms.

Unless of course the knowledge that it MIGHT be there
ruins your ability to sit back and enjoy the music. I
don't have that prejudice. Perhaps if you had taken
better care of your records, you wouldn't be complaining
about "...audible noise and distortion" starting..."

The distortion and noise was there on the first playing.

Sez you. Many do not agree that this is in any way off-putting. In fact many
believe that often, the "distortions" of which you speak so eloquently, are
euphonic in nature and actually make the performance sound MORE like real
music, not less.

My records are quiet, (aside from the VERY
OCCASIONAL tick or pop and tape hiss on the older
recordings) as well as flat and concentric.

You must be purchasing LPs on a different planet than I do.

I just take better care of the ones I have, perhaps. I don't think I've
bought a new LP in at least a decade.

There is no
more noise than the occasional cough or sneeze at a
concert.

Except that the cough or sneeze is a rare event, and the snap, crackle, and
pop as well as harshness and grit that is inherent in the LP format are
there all of the time.

Speak for your own record collection, not mine.

Some of us appear to want to listen to music presented with less audible
noise and distortion than others.

And some of us appear to be so prejudiced against vinyl, that we can't listen
to and enjoy the music unless the media carrying it meets some self-imposed
level of technical perfection.

That's everyone's prerogative, of course. Just don't make the mistake of
denigrating others for not sharing that view of the subject.