Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default The Vinylizer

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:09:25 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 06:10:00 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Scott" wrote in message

Eccentric records only introduce wow, not flutter. And
yes it is audible depending on the severity.

Yes. However another irreducable problem - the
non-flatness of the vinyl causes FM distortion with high
enough frequency content to qualify as flutter.

There there is the inherent FM distortion due to bass
modulation and tone arms that are not linear tracking.

Actually, the distortions caused by properly designed and
set-up radial tracking arms turns out to be negligible,
and the advantages of linear tracking turn out to be a
tertiary effect.

Actually, the distortions produced by LP playback systems incorporating the
best designed
tone arms that utilize any technology turns out to be readily audible.

Whether a given person perceives these potentially audible distoritons is up
to them, but if they fail to perceive them then they are somehow missing
spurious responses that are well above the normal human thesholds for
reliable perception of linear and nonlinear distortion.

But IME wiht most LPs it is not an issue and would only
be noticable
to those who, for whatever reason, are very very
sensitive to that sepcific problem.

We hear this from people who favor vinyl all the time.
This suggests to me that there must be some kind of
highly selective hearing disorder that causes people to
have substandard levels of sensitivity to FM distortion.

It's not any more of a disorder than the ability of
concert goers to listen "around" sneezes and coughs and
program rattling that occurs constantly during most
concerts.

Coughs and sneezes at concerts are relatively infrequent, while the
potentially audible noise and distortion that is inherent in vinyl is
unending. It starts when the needle is dropped and it continues until it is
lifted up. To enjoy vinyl you have to listen past the ongoing racket of
potentially readily audible noise and distortion.

I don't know of
anyone who wishes to *add* wow or flutter to the sound
of
their playback though.

From the standpoint of those of us who are so sensitive
to FM distortion
that we avoid LPs playback wherever possible, we tend
to see those who listen to LPs that have been reissued
as good CDs as being in the category of people who wish
to *add* wow or flutter to the sound of their playback.

Then you'd be wrong. Most vinyl listeners don't listen to
records that are warped, eccentric, of full of FM
distortion. I know that I don't.

Whether you perceive this ongoing racket or not is up to you, but it is very
easy to measure this noise and distortion using legacy measurement equipment
that finds modern media to be free of distortion.

Then if it's not perceived, It's not important is it? Unless of course the
knowledge that it MIGHT be there ruins your ability to sit back and enjoy the
music. I don't have that prejudice. Perhaps if you had taken better care of
your records, you wouldn't be complaining about "...audible noise and
distortion" starting..." "...when the needle is dropped and it continues
until it is lifted up.To enjoy vinyl you have to listen past the ongoing
racket of potentially readily audible noise and distortion." My records are
quiet, (aside from the VERY OCCASIONAL tick or pop and tape hiss on the older
recordings) as well as flat and concentric. There is no more noise than the
occasional cough or sneeze at a concert. It just is neither important nor
does it compromise my enjoyment of the music one iota.