Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default RCA cable question

On 2/21/2010 2:09 PM Bikedrd spake thus:

I wonder if there is some trick I can use, and I if someone out there
can help me.

I recently bought a house that someone had wired a remote speakers
into (for their surround sound).

I don't plan to use the surround sound; however, I do have my
traditional stereo amplifier at one end of one remote speaker wire and
my TV at the other end.

What I am wondering is: is there a way to use the single speaker wire
pair to transmit line-level RCA audio output from my satellite
receiver to an input on my amp?

The answer is, it depends. On how long the run of wire is, just how
badly shielded it is and what possible interference sources it runs by.

Easy enough to find out, though: why don't you just try it and see? If
you do, instead of checking it with a signal, power everything up and
turn the volume up without any signal (sat receiver tuned to nothing or
output muted) to see how much hum and noise you're picking up.

Is it possible to run both hots using the speaker wire and use the
home electrical system for ground? If so, would it sound like crap
because the wires would not be shielded?

No. No no no no NO! Please don't even attempt this.

- a Usenet "apology"