Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Mickey Mickey is offline

Default Recording karaoke singers

On 2008-03-11, HL0105 wrote:
On Mar 10, 7:32*pm, Mickey wrote:
On 2008-03-10, HL0105 wrote:

At the bar where I do karaoke, I talked the KJ into making recordings
of our singing. So he
brought a (Gemini IKey Plus) Portable USB Recorder, and connected it
to the (RCA Record Out) on his (American DJ QFX Pro) mixer.

When we listened to the recording the next day, we noticed two
problems. One was that for some of the louder singers, there was
distortion. The KJ's theory on why this happened was that the gain
setting on the mixer (set at one quarter setting) was too high for
recording purposes. And that gain setting could not be turned down; it
had to be at least that high since this was karaoke in a bar
environment.

You mean there is no input level control on the recorder?
It is probably meant for the -10Db of home recording, and the
mixer puts out +4Db levels.

Actually I think there is an input level control on the recorder. As
mentioned in another post. And I believe the KJ has set the level of
input as he saw fit.

I meant on the recorder, separate from the mixer.

I take it the mixer has no other busses to send out on.

The KJ told me his mixer has 3 outputs:
1. Master Out - which he sent to the speakers.
2. RCA Booth out - which he normally doesn't use. It would be used for
a Powered Subwoofers, or an extra monitor.

The booth out has a level control, so that is what you should use if it
is not in use.

3. RCA Record Out - which is what he sent to the Recorder.

The other problem we noticed was that there was no background noise at
all to supplement the singer's voice; it sounded like a studio
recording. And without this ambient crowd noise, you heard every
imperfection in the singing. And since karaoke singers are amateurs;
well there were LOTS of imperfections.

That just means no effects were going to the recording output.

If you told us the mixer model, we might actually have a fighting
chance of telling you how to hook it up so it worked. 8-)

I did tell you, in my original post. American DJ QFX Pro.

It is hard to believe they get $350.00 for that thing on the street...
Why can't you run from the cueing output, and use it's level control?

--
Mickey
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of