Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Default Kyocera receiver not remembering stations--success!

On 4/21/2010 12:18 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

Question is about a Kyocera R-851 receiver, ca. 1985, 85 w./channel.
Unit is in fine condition (many capacitators have been replaced) except
for one thing: it doesn't remember radio stations.

This receiver has 7 "presets" each for AM and FM. These can be set, and
the unit will remember them so long as the power is on. Leave it
overnight and the settings are gone.

I'm ASSuming that these are stored in memory that may have battery
backing. Opening the unit reveals no such battery/cell.

But of course, as readers of this thread know, further investigation did
in fact reveal a battery (3-volt Li cell).

Clipped off the old cell (it was attached to the board with little
spot-welded-on "legs"). Found a very similar cell in my battery
collection (flat 3-volt Li large "hearing-aid" style cell). Soldered a
couple wires to it, soldered it to old battery connections, wrapped it
with electrical tape and tucked it into a slot behind the front panel.
The receiver now remembers all presets.

By the way, wasn't there a thread here recently about the difficulties
of soldering connections to such batteries/cells? I had no problem at
all; I cleaned up spots using fine sandpaper (320-400 grit silicon
carbide), then used my old non-lead-free solder and a clean tip on my
iron. Connection was bright and solid.