Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default How to play CDs in new cars...

On 10/06/2021 1:18 pm, Fishrrman wrote:
I have a lot of CDs. Many hundreds of them. Thousands of them.

My 2013 Toyota RAV4 has a CD player as a part of the audio system. No
problems there.

But I looked at the new RAV4's, and they no longer have a CD player
available at all in any configuration.

Well, ok, my 2013 also has a USB port (suitable for a flashdrive with
mp3 files on it), along with a 3.5mm analog input to get music in that
way from any device with analog out via the headphone jack.

But... the new RAVs have only a USB port. There's no 3.5mm jack, so I
couldn't even plug in a small portable CD player (which I have).

That leaves no practical way to get CD-based audio into the car's sound
system.

I've heard that there are a few portable CD players with bluetooth, but
doesn't BT degrade sound quality "in the transmission"?

Question:
Are there any small portable CD music players that have DIGITAL OUT (via
USB) as well as analog out? Although I'm not sure how that would
interface with the car's audio system, which is probably programmed to
look for mp3 files with tagged metadata.

Looks like the only way to take your CDs along with new cars, is to do
what I used to do in the old days: Take the portable player along with
some headphones, and listen that way...

I simply cant *believe* anyone who obviously has a computer, would want
to stuff around with CD's in a car in this century!! Simply transferring
the CD's to a USB stick will let you play 100's of wave files, or
thousands of MP3 files. The more usual problem is people with older cars
wondering how to play their digital files and ditch the CD's!!!