Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

Default Zarathustra SACD/DSD

On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 13:36:36 -0700 (PDT), Sean B wrote:

Hello,

I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.

Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?

The 1954 recording by Reiner conducting Chicago Symphony is considered by many to be the standard to which others are measured.

https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Also-.../dp/B000003FE9

_______
I wonder if that's the version that was used in the score for '2001: A Space Odyssey'