Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] palli...@gmail.com is offline

Default replacing mic cables with radio mics

Scott Dorsey wrote:
================

Your recommendations would be valued.

1. The Lectrosonics system is far and above anything else available.

2. The fidelity of the Lectrosonics system is not acceptable for classical
recording.

** ROTFL !!!

That remark was *not* expected....

Care to elaborate a little please ??

If I can tell the difference between the input and the output, I don't
want it in my signal chain. This is an environment where even tiny
differences in sound become evident, in part because there are few mikes
so even a low level spot mike makes a considerable contribution to the
overall sound, and in part because we have a reference point to judge
the recording against. If it doesn't sound like a real orchestra in a
real room, it's no good.

The Lectrosonics is amazingly better than the wireless systems
of the past, but it's not anywhere near as good as a cable.

** OK - but I was thinking of some other issues that would definitely ruin a classical recording

1. You cannot use phantom powered mics - only dynamics & batt powered electrets.

2. Typical wireless mic systems are engineered to work with vocal mics, so big signal levels coming from the mic.
Not so good with only mV or sub mV levels.

3. Even with diversity receivers, RF level drops and brief noise bursts are common.
Just one of them and you have to start all over.

4. RF interference from other wireless mics, broadcast TV and data signals can cause the same as above.

Not worth it, for just a bit of convenience.

...... Phil