Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default MKH416 vs NTG3

On 3/04/2021 3:24 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/2/2021 10:06 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
I have used a Sennheiser MKH416 for over 20 years for VO. I bought a
(used) Rode NTG-3. Between the two, in an A-B comparison using the
same mic, preamp, monitors, etc., the Rode sounds darker. Who can I
send the mic to for comparison? There's probably nothing wrong with
it. The guy who sold it to me is a straight shooter, but I wonder if
he sold it because he didn't like the (dark) sound of it.

Is there a real question here? Different mics sound different for many
reasons. The acoustic space and mic position, other than basic design,
are particularly crucial. You're right - there's probably nothing wrong
with the Rode mic, it just might not be right for you, or it might be
fine if you moved it from your customary position by a couple of inches.

You're talking about $1000 mics here, and shotgun mics to boot, which
tend to be quite specialized. If you want to know if the Rode mic is
working correctly - that is, meets the factory specifications - you
should send it to Rode.

It may well be that you (mpc684) are just so accustomed to the sound of
the MKH416 that anything different sounds dark. I don't know if the
Sennie is known for being on the bright side, but it may be.

What is the NTG like in comparison to the actual source sound ? And the
MKH similarly.

geoff